Saturday, February 8, 2014

Be The Change You Want To See


Although reading “The Silenced Dialogue” by Lisa Delpit seemed to be very difficult I knew from the beginning that it had an excellent message.  I found myself rereading sentences and even paragraphs over and over to understand what was trying to be said.  This may seem annoying but in the end was very worth it.  I was continuously searching for the message that Delpit was trying to get across to her readers and slowly began to understand each and every message.

Even though I slowly began to understand these many messages throughout the article, in the final paragraphs it all seemed to click.  The reason I believe this to be true is because I was able to connect Delpit's article to both Kozol and McIntosh’s articles.  With this connection I gained a better understanding on where Delpit was coming from in her argument on black teachers and white teachers.

When Delpit said, “But both sides do need to be able to listen, and I contend that it is those with the most power, those in the majority, who must take the greater responsibility for initiating the process” (46) my mind wondered to these two previous articles that we read.  The reason being is Kozol's thoughts on how these “rich” individuals live so close to Mott Haven but they still are blind to the many struggles it encounters.  They send everything they do not care for to this poorer section of town and act like they have no more problems when in reality they are just passing their problems to less fortunate individuals rather than opening up, being vulnerable, and doing what they can to help.  Along with in Kozol's article, McIntosh also directs her thoughts to this idea as well.  One small example is men.  Although they know to be true that they are more privileged than women they will not admit it.  They just continue to live their privileged lives and make no effort to stop this advantage.  After all, it isn’t really affecting them.

To me, each of these ideas connects to one another.  The white teachers think that the black teachers have just begun to agree with them, the richer parts of New York send there problems elsewhere and forget about them, and men may believe women are disadvantaged but would never say that they are over privileged.  In each case, the ones in the majority are in the place to speak up.  Without that, nothing will change.  It may be uncomfortable to give in, but in the end change would eventually happen for the better.  People should not just feel as if they need to be “quiet” but should feel comfortable speaking their minds and being the change they wish to see.  After all, the many students and teachers quotes in the article are perfect examples on how they feel.  Even though they may encounter these occurrences, the people on the opposite side can still see their reactions.  They know that something is not right and SHOULD speak up!


Below is an article I found that relates to the idea of white teachers educating black students compared to black teachers educating black students.  It brings up many ideas Delpit did and also many new ideas as well.  

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post! At first the article was tough to get through but when the connections to the other two were made I, like you, saw the same thing. I also agree with your example about men! great post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I really liked that you connected this text to McIntosh's and Kozol's pieces. Your comparison to the white people in this text to the rich people in Kozol's was perfect. Also with your comparison of men in McIntosh's text was right, everyone admits they see the problem but do not do anything to really fix it. You finding the connection between these articles definitely helped me understand this piece a bit more. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just have to say that I totally like and agree with your post! As you mentioned, this article was hard to read and to understand, but like said too, having read the other articles from Kozol and McIntosh really did help. I loved the connections you made with the articles! I couldn't agree more them! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madison, I find that all the articles we have read require multiple readings and skimmings. The ideas are presented in a complex manner, but once you gain an understanding it's an "aha" moment. (Yes I pored over it at length!) I think the real strength in your essay is the connection you made with your attached article. And there is a quote in that article that we have seen many versions of over the past several weeks. "Truth is a rare commodity in a politically correct soft society of denial." The truth needs to be heard, and I think in some places you can see it. Maybe that is what we hang onto and move forward with. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just like to say that I think the set up, background, and overall look of your blog is adorable. Your post was great, and many of us can relate to having to reread paragraphs for the context. I had my "aha" moment at the end of the reading too. I really liked how you connected our readings and made the real world connections, especially between men and women. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete