Saturday, March 1, 2014

Expectation vs. Reality


Before I start my actual blog for this week I want to say that after reading this article, I saw articles and pictures portraying to Disney everywhere.  I opened up my Facebook to this article about eight Disney classics based on disturbing stories… and then I see this cute picture on twitter.  Weird!


Argument

Throughout “Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us”, Linda Christensen argues that media changes each individuals mind and teaches them how to live their life. 

In other words, she believes that through movies, TV shows, and cartoons, each aspect of life is portrayed in a way that the viewer begins to alter their life to  coincide with what they watched.  Christensen believes that while watching these various shows, the viewer obtains a “secret education”.  The secret education is basically a way of life.  Everything in the show seems “perfect” and ideal to what everyone wants his or her life to be like so, as a result, we search for the happy ending that doesn’t always end up so happy after all.  Throughout this, Christensen continues to argue that the media has manipulated each individual and made them who they are today.  So, basically she believes that individuals do not “create” themselves but they are created through the children’s media that the viewed. 

            As Christensen continues to argue about how the media alters people’s lives, she then begins to argue that it is okay to portray all types of living in children’s media but that it needs to be switched up.  In other words, some people can be rich and some people can be poor but it can’t always be the rich white people and the poor black people.  With this variety there will be less stereotypes and no one will feel as if they must be a certain way in order to be happy or successful.  And lastly, she believes strongly that someone needs to stand up to make the difference.  Young girls can not grow up thinking they need a man to be happy and young boys can not grow up thinking they need money or the perfect women to be happy.  

Unfortunately not everything is as good as it may seem! :(
Nothing and nobody is perfect.



5 comments:

  1. Madison, I totally agree with this post. You do a great job of explaining Christensen's argument fully, and I like that you connected the article to things you come across on social media by accident! good job !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Madison, you did such a good job explaining and summarizing Christensen's argument. And I loved that you connected the reading to things you see in social media. Good job, it was fun reading ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison! Great job this week explaining Christensen's argument! Like Jen said^ it's awesome how you were able to connect her article to different things you have seen in social media! I love all the pictures too! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madison your argument is on point! I always see stuff about Disney Princesses (positive and negative) everywhere! But that might be because I feel I missed my calling as a princess ;) Your blog is great! Awesome job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree to seeing hatred of Disney everywhere, but you also see the amount of love and dreams that Disney has given children around the world. Great pictures also!!

    ReplyDelete